Dishwashers are the modern-day appliances that you will be able to find in most houses nowadays. They are very useful and very simple to operate. They help to keep your hygiene and keep your family healthy.
A dishwasher helps in cleaning your dishes obviously but it also helps to wash most of your cookware and utensils. You might be thinking that why would a dishwasher need to be cleaned after it cleans itself after all. However, this is not true. Like any other appliance, a dishwasher also needs to be taken care of. You should regularly clean your dishwasher if you want to have a good life for it. An uncleaned dishwasher itself is a source of bad health and how would it make your dishes clean.
It is very simple to keep your dishwasher clean. All you need to do is a routine clean up which is pretty simple. Using coffee and white vinegar is enough to make things work. Today we are going to look at two ways to clean your dishwasher. If you own a dishwasher then this post can be very helpful for you.
A dishwasher’s main purpose is to provide you with clean and shiny dishes. If your dishwasher itself is dirty and not cleaned then it won’t be able to do this properly. You need to clean your dishwasher.
It is recommended to clean your dishwasher once a month. However, you want it to remain clean then you can do it daily by removing the bits of food. You can get yourself the habit of removing any bits of food visible after everyday use. You can pull the bottom rack out to check for any leftover stuck. For weekly cleaning, you can take a damp cloth or sponge and try to wipe any visible residue present or spots that are splattered on the interior of your dishwasher. Check for the door, edges, handles, or controls.
You can also remove and rinse the filter every week. It is very important to keep the filter clean. Remove the filter and put it under hot water. You can use a soft toothbrush to clean it. After cleaning, lock it back to its place. You need to give it a deep cleaning every one month. I have mentioned the steps of deep cleaning a dishwasher below you can check it there. Your dishwasher might have got stains and fingerprints over it and you should remove them by polishing it whenever needed using a sponge or damp cloth.
Note: it is very important to find out information regarding your dishwasher model before using any of the cleaning methods using the manual or internet.
This is a very easy process you can use whenever you feel that your dishwasher needs cleaning. It is a five-step process that can be easily followed.
- Vinegar or baking soda both will work (¾ cup)
- Coffee mug or a bowl that is safe with the dishwasher
- A cleaning solution
- The first step is to empty the dishwasher and unplug it.
- Take a coffee mug or dishwasher safe bowl and fill it using white vinegar that is ¾ cup and put it on the top rack of your dishwasher. Now take ¾ cup of baking soda and try sprinkling it over the bottom of your dishwasher.
- Now plug the dishwasher in and run it on the hottest wash cycle settings
- After this is done you need to stop the dishwasher before the dry cycle. Slightly open the door and let it dry.
- Take a cloth and the cleaning solution that is suited to the exterior surface of your dishwasher and start cleaning.
This is a very simple 5 step process you can quickly try when you think that your dishwasher needs cleaning.
Whenever you smell some odor coming from your dishwasher you should try draining some vinegar whenever you use it, if the smell continues you can try deep cleaning the dishwasher.
It is good to deep clean your dishwasher twice every year. Dishwasher detergents and particulate matter can be left behind, stopping the dishwasher from producing perfectly clean dishes. Deep cleaning will help to get rid of any accumulation, clear the unpleasant odors, and to better the dishwasher.
- Baking soda
- Vinegar (white)
- A solution of vinegar and water (50:50 ratio)
- Dishwashing soap
- Follow these steps to clean your dishwasher, you can use vinegar or baking soda but make sure you use them one after another and not at the same time as it will create some kind of a foamy mess.
- Remove all those parts that are removable and clean them. These parts include the top rack, bottom rack, and utensils holder. Make sure you thoroughly wipe off any food particles or residues present. You can also put them into the kitchen sink by adding two cups of vinegar and let it soak for one hour and after that rinse it.
- After you are done with this you need to clean the rubber gaskets that are along with the dishwasher door. You can make use of a toothbrush and vinegar solution or soapy water.
- Usually wipe the spray arm on top of the dishwasher by brushing with a clean, vinegar solution. Clean with a toothpick all blocked jet trolls.
- After this, you need to clean the dishwasher filters. Many of the modern-day dishwashers come with self-cleaning filters. If you have got a detachable one then you need to remove it. After that, you need to clean the area beneath the filter by wiping it using a vinegar solution. Now wash the filter using warm soapy water and rinse it and put it back in its place properly.
- It’s time to clean the drain in your dishwasher. For this, you need to microwave one cup of vinegar for 15 seconds and then add baking soda which is around 2 tablespoons in it and use the mixture and pour it in the drain. Let it be there for around 15 minutes. After completion of 15 minutes pour it in hot water.
- Make sure that you clean the interior walls of your dishwasher using a vinegar solution. You need to wipe the sides, bottom, and the door.
It is very important to check that all the removal parts are fixed back properly to their place. If they aren’t correctly placed they might end up blocking other parts and it can lead to damages.
You can also buy a new dishwasher here, click to check the price
Keeping your dishwasher clean is very important for your hygiene and therefore you must keep a habit of cleaning it or removing the visible residue every time you use it.
You must try the 5steps cleaning process every month and the deep cleaning process twice a year at least. This will surely help you keep your dishwasher clean and run for a long time.